Author Archives: Pastor
This Sunday, January 21, 2018
- The day will start at 9:00 AM when The Singing Ensemble will gather to practice.
- Then Sunday School for children and adults convenes at 10 AM.
- We gather for Open Worship at 11 AM
Christ is ministering to us in the silence. Nothing needs to be said, unless there is a clear leading from Christ to speak. After a period of centering down, if you feel a clear leading to speak please be obedient to it. Rise, speak clearly, loudly and succinctly. Allow time for a message to settle before another message is offered.
This Sunday, 9/3, & next Saturday, 9/9, @BFC: Trustees, Sunday School, Worship, MOCE; Called Meeting
If you can stand the heat (it’s not like it’s any cooler staying at home!), here’s what’s happening this Sunday, and then a reminder about next Saturday:
Sunday, 9/3 at BFC is a first Sunday, which means:
- Trustees meet for the care of the building and grounds at 9 AM;
- Sunday School classes for adults & kids gather at 10 AM;
- We worship at 11 AM, with song, prayer, and expectant waiting, as well as a message from John 13 entitled, “LOA.”
- Fellowship time follows worship;
- The Missionary, Outreach and Christian Education Committee meets at 1 PM.
And then, Ministry & Counsel would like to invite everyone to the second in a series of Called Meetings with a Concern for Business, a week from tomorrow, Saturday, 9/9, from 10 AM to noon.This meeting will focus on discernment of the meetings’ needs for pastoral leadership. As with the first meeting, M&C has prepared some queries, which are listed below. If you are unable to attend, M&C would appreciate your responses via e-mail to office by this coming Thursday, 9/7.
Queries for the 9/9 Called Meeting
- Aside from a demographic description of our members and attenders, how would we describe ourselves as a congregation?
What do we value? e.g. Spiritual nurture, Proclaiming Christ, Meeting activities, Social action, Outreach, Being an inclusive community, Christian education (adults and children), etc.
What are our needs currently and in the 3-5 years to come?
What experience, qualities and interests in a pastor would be a good fit for us?
What do we need a pastor to do?
Finally, it seems slightly unreal that this is my final reminder message to you all… I want to thank you, again, for the privilege of having served you for nine very good years. We are going to miss each one of you. I pray for God’s guidance, direction and rich blessings as you seek God’s will for the next season of your lives together.
This weekend, 8/19 & 20, @BFC: Called Meeting, Singing Ensemble, Sunday School, Worship, Potluck, Monthly Meeting
Important things are happening this weekend at Berkeley Friends Church–here’s what’s on:
Tomorrow, Saturday, 8/ 19, there will be a special Called Meeting for Worship with a Concern for Business from 10 AM to 12 noon at the meetinghouse to discern whether BFC will be a pastored or un-pastored Meeting following my departure in September. As a reminder, Ministry & Counsel has asked members and attenders to respond to the following queries:
- What is our sense of God’s call to our meeting, and does being a pastored or un-pastored Meeting help us be more obedient to the call?
- If being a pastored Meeting is our path, what do we want in a pastor? (e.g. qualities, experience, part-time vs. full time, interim vs. long term)
- If we begin a formal search process, should we begin as soon as possible?
- If being an un-pastored Meeting is our path, what are we as a Meeting willing to do (i.e. which roles and tasks are we individually and collectively willing to take on)?
Then, on Sunday, 8/20, the events are as follows:
- The Singing Ensemble gathers to rehearse a joyful noise at 9 AM;
- Kids & adults join in their Sunday School classes at 10 AM;
- Everyone coalesces for Worship at 11 AM, with singing, prayer, a special musical offering, and our monthly time of extended open worship;
- We all chow down at a potluck lunch following worship (regulars, please bring something to share, or if you can’t, contribute a small amount for supplies);
- And then we conclude the day with our regular Monthly Meeting with a Concern for Business at 1 PM.
Hope to be with you this weekend!