It’s going to be a big weekend at Berkeley Friends Church–please join us! Here are the highlights:
Meet Colin Saxton: this weekend we have a special guest, Colin Saxton, General Secretary of Friends United Meeting (FUM). FUM is the global fellowship of Friends that we are part of. Colin has served FUM since 2012, and has a vision for making FUM a resource to strengthen local Friends meetings. There will be several opportunities for you to meet Colin, hear more about the work of FUM, and share your ideas and hopes for the future of Friends:
- Saturday 10 AM: Ministry & Counsel meets with Colin at BFC to hear about the new “Flourishing Meetings” resource; others are welcome, or you can join us for lunch out at a restaurant afterward.
- Sunday morning during Sunday School: Colin will speak about the work of FUM and the Energize, Equip and Connect Campaign (see attached PDF for more).
- Saturday 7:30 PM: Dinner at Brian & Stephanie’s home.
- Sunday 6:30 PM: Potluck dinner at Steve & Liz Sims’s home. Vegetarian soup provided; please bring bread or a salad!
Please contact Brian if you need more information, or would like to set up another time to chat with Colin. If you want to attend one of the dinners, please contact the respective hosts.
Berkeley Half-Marathon returns: Yes, it’s that time of the year when 9000 running enthusiasts disrupt traffic on Sunday morning. The 2016 Berkeley Half-Marathon runs from 7 AM to 12:30 PM this Sunday. The race course is much the same as last year, which means that BFC is once again inside the course, and anyone coming from outside will have difficulty crossing the path of the runners in a car. If you usually come in a car or by bus, please walk, bike or take BART if you possibly can. If you absolutely have to drive, please see this post for route details.
Proceedings at BFC: Once you get here on Sunday, the schedule is:
- Singing Ensemble rehearsal at 9 AM.
- Sunday School for children and adults at 10 AM; note: the adult class will meet with Colin to hear about FUM’s Energize, Equip and Connect Campaign (see attached PDF for more).
- Worship at 11 AM; a special arrangement of “Now Thank We All Our God” presented by Charles Blue and Sebastian Weinberger; more ministry in music from the Singing Ensemble; and Colin’s message from Jeremiah 32:6-15: “Hopeful and Imaginative Faith.”
- Potluck lunch following worship;
- Monthly Meeting for Business at 1 PM; all members are expected to participate, and attenders are welcome as well.